This land was first purchased by James Lawson in 1888. He sold it in 1913 to William Henry Price a city fruit merchant. Price then on-sold in the same year to Eleanor Frances Pines (1869-1947) the widow of Frederick Pitt Pines (1839-1901) who had been chief manager of W H Paling & Co the music company. She built the property and remained there until her income from shares in W H Paling failed in the Great Depression. She sold the house in 1931 to Ida Gertrude Taylor wife of Arthur Bernard Taylor. One of her sons, Cleveland, married Jean a daughter of the nearby home Jenambe.
The house was designed by the architect William Nixon and built by James Brown of Ashfield. The house was so named because it faced the rising sun.