Print

Churches – Uniting

The first known Wesleyan Methodist service in Beecroft was conducted by the Rev James Carruthers in the home of James and Jemima Hull on the northern corner of Kirkham Street and Beecroft Road in 1889. Shortly thereafter services moved to the home of Frederick and Eliza Mason in Copeland Road East.[1]

A timber church building was built on the site of the present church in 1895 with the then Minister of the relevant circuit being Rev John Moore. The church building was largely financed with assistance from Thomas Thompson Jnr of Thompson’s corner who was a benefactor of a number of local Wesleyan churches[2] however the debt continued until 1909.

Church numbers were small but it had a strong Sunday School and a young people’s group that encouraged total abstinence.

In 1902 the Methodist Church in Sydney was formed after combining the Wesleyan Methodist Church with other Methodists congregations.

Encouraged that the church would continue to grow, the congregation decided in 1909 to build a new and larger church building. Due to financial pressures this did not occur until 1915 when a church, built on the same design as Epping Methodist by architect Alfred Newman, was opened.



[1] Beecroft
Cheltenham History Group Beecroft and
Cheltenham: the shaping of a Sydney community to 1914
(privately published,
Beecroft, 1995) p 224

[2] Beecroft
Cheltenham History Group Beecroft and
Cheltenham: the shaping of a Sydney community to 1914
(privately published,
Beecroft, 1995) p 226