Print

Freemasons

The foundation stone for the Masonic Hall in Beecroft was laid in March 1924 by Grand Master William Thompson.[1] The hall was located in Beecroft Road Beecroft on the current site of the Bentley block of Units. The Lodge had previously met in the School of Arts.

A company was established to run the hall in April 1924. It had an initial capital of two thousand pounds and its directors were A B Taylor, A E Pierce, W H Ledger, R H W Stone, A W S James, A F C Murphy, F W Young.[2]

The hall was a regular venue for meetings of Red Cross, wedding receptions and public recitals.



[1] Cumberland Argus 10 March 1924

[2] Cumberland Argus 29 April 1924