G Dalton a builder of Beecroft constructed the home in 1907-08.
None of Blackwood’s children married and when the last surviving child. Elizabeth, went to reside in a nursing home in 1967, the house was sold. Part of the land forming the estate was also donated to the National Trust.
130 - Ramona
This land was first purchased by George Robert Harrison in 1887. Harrison had migrated to Australia from England in the 1840’s and became a timber merchant. He was extensively involved in both the Church of England and the Church Missionary Society. He built the present house in 1887-8.
Harrison sold the house in 1911 to the Intercolonial Investment Land & Building Co Ltd which subdivided the surrounding land. The house and immediate block was purchased by Gustav Heumann, a city importer.
144-146 - Brunoy
This land was created on the subdivision in 1915-16 of the Ramona Estate. It was purchased by Herbert Leslie Arnott who arranged for the home to be built. Arnott was the son of William Arnott a baker who had migrated from Scotland and founded the famous bakery and biscuit making firm. Arnott managed the Homebush factory of the family firm.
Upon Arnott’s death in 1955 the home was sold to the Home Mission Society of the Anglican Church to become one of its Chesalon Nursing Homes.
The architects of this home were Spain, Cosh and Dods. It was built by Kell & Rigby.
21 - Red Hill
While the house had its own tennis courts, school room and quarters for a governess, Fitzhardinge preferred to sleep on a first floor open verandah. Following his death his daughter Miss Julie Fitzhardinge lived in the home. Miss Fitzhardinge was Principal of Women’s College, University of Sydney.
The architect was Herbert Ross an admirer of William Morris. He designed the house with a mixture of Arts & Crafts and art noveau styles.
Corner with Albert Street - Kilwinning
This land was purchased in 1887 by Alfred Cox (or Cock) and Alfred built the house on the property in 1889. Alfred’s occupation was a dyer.
Upon the death of both of his parents, Alfred’s son William sold the property in 1907 to Joseph Home, a Sydney real estate agent.
63 - Lorne
This land was purchased in 1887 by George Thomas Smith who sold it in 1903 to Frederick Knight. Knight sold it in 1909 to Dr Mark Cowley Lidwill.
Lidwill’s wife, Constance, was the sister of the architect George Sydney Jones. Jones was the son of Sir Phillip Sydney Jones a physician who specialised in treating tuberculois and was Chancellor of the University of Sydney. The father of Sir Phillip was David Lloyd Jones of the retailing family. George Sydney Jones was the architect of this home.
Lidwill did not remain long in the property and sold his new home in 1910 to Dr Charles Ryegate.
81 - Shrublands
The family of one of the owners of this handsome two story house is that the land was originally owned by William Chorley, the prominent Cheltenham land owner, as an investment from 1889.
The land was sold to Albert Moore in 1904/5 who built the present house in about 1914.
Albert Edward Moore (1872-1942) came to Beecroft in 1906 with his wife Lillian (née Williams) and their two young children. Albert was the son of Samuel James and Rhoda Moore of Dural and his wife was from a farming family in Old Northern Road. When younger, Albert had owned an orchard at Round Corner, Dural, but after an accident left him unable to do heavy work, he went into partnership with Alan Lloyd as fruit agents in the City Markets. The Moores were one of the few families in Beecroft who came from a rural area, most of the other new residents having moved from suburbs closer to the city.