Initially subject to an inquiry in 1901, for public resumption this land was purchased following a meeting called at the School of Arts in January 1907 for the acquisition of suitable sports grounds. The meeting was chaired by William Nixon and it agreed to purchase 7 acres of what was known as Wilson’s Grant and subscription lists were opened to contribution to both the cost of acquisition and the laying of a cricket pitch with an asphalt wicket. Frederick Wilson, a chemist of Newtown, sold the land for 250 pounds to trustees Charles Tucker, William Nixon, Albert Wachsmann, William Andrew and William Chorley. In May 1913 it was transferred to the Minister for Lands to ensure its continued public use and maintenance.
The ground was declared open on Boxing Day 1907.